Friday, August 17, 2018
Welcome Reception: 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Saturday, August 18, 2018
CME-certified Activity: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Hyatt Regency Orlando
9801 International Drive
This CME-certified workshop is specifically designed for rheumatology fellows to advance their knowledge, skills, behavior, and attitudes regarding care of patients who present with rheumatic diseases and their comorbidities.
Program content will be developed by our nationally recognized faculty of educators, focusing on treatment-enhancing issues, with an emphasis on safety in the care of patients with inflammatory arthritis. Participants will utilize interactive learning modalities, including panel discussions, challenging case studies, team-based learning, and small-group interactions. The program is designed to create an intimate atmosphere for the exchange of declarative and procedural knowledge between attendees and our exceptional faculty. Upon completion, learners will receive electronic copies of the program materials and a CME Certificate.
Attendees must be nominated by their fellowship program director, and selection will be based on order of response and balance of fellowship programs. If selected, both the program director and trainee will be notified within 1 week of receiving the application.
Application to Attend
Please download the application, complete the form in its entirety, and email to
Please note, the application is a fillable PDF file. To properly download the form, right-click on the following link, select "Save Link As", and save the file to your computer.
- Saturday, August 18, 2018
|7:30 am – 8:00 am
||Attendee Check-in and Breakfast
|8:00 am – 8:10 am
|8:10 am – 9:20 am
||Overview of RA, PsA, SpA
|9:20 am – 9:40 am
||Comorbidities I: Infectious Complications in RA and PsA
|9:40 am – 9:55 am
||Question and Answer
|9:55 am – 10:10 am
|10:10 am – 10:40 am
||Comorbidities II: Interactive Case Discussion on Assessment and Management of Comorbidities in Inflammatory Arthritis
|10:40 am – 11:40 am
||Master Class on Advanced Communications in Rheumatic Disease: How Can We Give the Best Care and the Best Caring
|11:40 am – 11:55 am
||Question and Answer
|11:55 am – 12:00 pm
|12:00 pm – 12:45 pm
||How to Create a Satisfying Life in Rheumatology: Sorting and Balancing Personal Lifestyles with Clinical Practice, Academics, and Education
|12:45 pm – 12:50 pm
|12:50 pm – 1:50 pm
||Challenging Cases in Prevention and Management of Risk
|1:50 pm – 2:50 pm
||Rheumatology Journal Club
|2:50 pm – 3:10 pm
|3:10 pm – 3:55 pm
||Hot and Controversial Topics in Rheumatic Diseases
|3:55 pm – 4:15 pm
||Wheel of Rheumatology Knowledge
A team gaming activity to bring it all together
|4:15 pm – 4:30 pm
||Wrap-up and Reflection
Slide to view agenda
The intended audience for this activity is rheumatology fellows and other health care professionals involved in the treatment of patients with rheumatic disease.
Upon successful completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Assess patients with RA, PsA, or SpA for disease activity, prognosis, and comorbidities such as serious and opportunistic infections, cardiovascular disease, mental health disorders, and other complications.
- Apply the latest treat-to-target guideline approaches for the management of patients with RA, PsA, or SpA.
- Incorporate advanced communication techniques in the rheumatologic encounter to establish stronger relationships with patients, identify cues for empathy and learn how to respond to them during the patient encounter, and engage in productive patient education as well as counseling on lifestyle and wellness behavior (diet, exercise, stress reduction, and sleep hygiene) to optimize health outcomes.
- Identify and incorporate best practices for the prevention and monitoring of complications for patients with RA, PsA, or SpA, including risk profiling and vaccinations.
- Summarize the role of an interdisciplinary team of experts, including the patient, to provide optimal care of patients with RA, PsA, or SpA.
- Describe common patient concerns regarding rheumatic disease and its treatment as well as strategies to address these issues.