Please refer to the full Prescribing Information at CIMZIAhcp.com.
Patients with nr-axSpA experience significant burden of disease. In patients with nr-axSpA, inflammation can result in pain and stiffness, fatigue, and disability.1 They may also experience anxiety, depression, and reduced quality of life.2 The severity of pain, fatigue, and quality of life impacts experienced by patients with nr-axSpA is similar to that of patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), psoriatic arthritis (PsA), and ankylosing spondylitis (AS) (Figure 8).3-5
Because the average age of symptom onset for nr-axSpA is 28 years old, patients are impacted during the most productive years of their lives.6 These burdens can affect a patient’s ability to work.4 In one study, 45% of patients with axSpA switched to a less physically demanding job, and 24% left the workplace at a mean age of 36 years because of their condition.7
As the disability associated with nr-axSpA is due to inflammation rather than structural damage, this disability may be reversible with reduction in disease activity.8
Figure 8. Patients With nr-axSpA, AS, RA, and PsA Experience Comparable Disease Burden3-5
AS, ankylosing spondylitis; MCS, mental component scale; nr-axSpA, non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis; PCS, physical component scale; PsA, psoriatic arthritis; RA, rheumatoid arthritis; SF-36, Short Form Health Survey. SF-36 is a set of generic, coherent, and easily administered quality-of-life measures; VAS, visual analog scale.
*A potential limitation of the data presented is that the cohorts are varied in size reflective of different registry enrollment. High scores indicate worse disease activity. These data are from the Corrona RA registry and the Corrona PsA/SpA registry, which are prospective, multicenter, observational, disease-based registries in the US that use a 0–100 VAS. No longitudinal analyses were performed to compare patients over time and the AS and nr-axSpA patient population may not be representative of all adults with axSpA.
†Health-related quality of life (HRQoL) scores were age- and sex-matched using SF-36 component scores. SF-36 is a set of generic, coherent, and easily administered quality-of-life measures.
1. Baraliakos X, Braun J. Non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis: what are the similarities and differences? RMD Open. 2015;1(suppl 1):e000053. doi: 10.1136/rmdopen-2015-000053.
2. Erol K, Gok K, Cengiz G, et al. Extra-articular manifestations and burden of disease in patients with radiographic and non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis. Acta Reumatol Port. 2018;43(1):32-39.
3. Mease PJ, van der Heijde D, Karki C, et al. Characterization of patients with ankylosing spondylitis and nonradiographic axial spondyloarthritis in the US-Based Corrona Registry. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) . 2018;70(11):1661-1670.
4. Mease PJ, Liu M, Rebello S, et al. Comparative disease burden of patients with rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and axial spondyloarthritis: data from the Corrona Rheumatoid Arthritis and Psoriatic Arthritis/Spondyloarthritis (PsA/SpA) Registries [abstract]. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018;70(suppl 10). Available at: https://acrabstracts.org/abstract/comparative-disease-burden-of-patients-with-rheumatoid-arthritis-psoriatic-arthritis-and-axial-spondyloarthritis-data-from-the-corrona-rheumatoid-arthritis-and-psoriatic-arthritis-spondyloarthritis/. Accessed February 8, 2019.
5. Mease PJ, van Tubergen A, Deodhar A, et al. Comparing health-related quality of life across rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and axial spondyloarthritis: analysis from certolizumab pegol clinical trial baseline data. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72(suppl 3):766-767.
6. Deodhar A, Mease PJ, Reveille JD, et al. Frequency of axial spondyloarthritis diagnosis among patients seen by US rheumatologists for evaluation of chronic back pain. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016;68(7):1669-1676.
7. Strand V, Singh JA. Patient burden of axial spondyloarthritis. J Clin Rheumatol. 2017;23(7):383-391.
8. Raychaudhuri SP, Deodhar A. The classification and diagnostic criteria of ankylosing spondylitis. J Autoimmun. 2014;48-49:128-133.
©2019 UCB, Inc., Smyrna, GA 30080. All rights reserved.
Version: August 2019
Please click on Next tab to advance through activity.
Tell us what you think about Healio.com »
Get the latest news and education delivered to your inbox
©2020 Healio All Rights Reserved.