Home Study Program
HOW TO OBTMN COMTWUHK EDUCATOMI CREDITS BY READD(G TWS ISSUE
Registered nurses may receive three contact hours by reading the articles in this issue and successfully answering the questions in the following post-test. To obtain continuing education credit:
1. Read the articles carefully, noting the tables and other illustrative materials which are provided to enhance your knowledge and understanding of the content.
2. Read each question and record your answer in Uk registration form provided.
3. Type or print your full name and address and your social security number in spaces provided on the registration form.
4. Forward the completed form with your check or money order for $16 made out to Rutgers. The State University. Quizzes are accepted up to 12 months from date of issue.
Contact hours are granted by Rutgers, The State University College of Nursing Continuing Education Program, which is accredited by the American Nurses' Association. Slack, Inc. and Rutgers College of Nursing are co-providers of this continuing education home study program. Rutgers, The State University College of Nursing is a certified provider of nursing continuing education in California (Provider #07313), in Florida (Provider #27U 1 378) and in Iowa (Provider #238).
Answers to the post-test will be graded and you will be advised that you have passed or failed within 60 days of receipt of your compieted test. A score of 70% or above will comprise a passing grade. A certificate will be awarded to participants who successfully complete the test. One contact hour is SO minutes of instruction. Contact hour verification can only be awarded at the completion of a program.
1 . Recognize facts about a study of psychiatric triage in an emergency department.
2. Recall facts about normal pressure hydrocephalus.
3. Identify facts about an educational program to reduce the risk of HFV infection in persons with serious mental illness.
4. Select facts about a study of traumatic war stress and schizophrenia.
5. Select facts about the use of art therapy in the treatment of sexual abuse.
1. Rosenzweig notes that by the late 1970s, the number of psychiatric clients who comprised cases in the emergency department (ED) was:
2. Rosenzweig indicates that the task force identified three of the following problems. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
A. Increase in insurance denials for clients admitted to the crisis intervention unit (CRJX
B. Poor documentation on clients' charts by ED and CIU staffe.
C. Increase in the number of clients admitted to the CIU.
D. Poor communication between the staffs of die ED and CTU.
3. In evaluating the trial program of psychiatric triage, the task force concluded that mental health clients:
A. responded to therapy faster.
B. spent 50% less time in the ED.
C. were less threatening to orner clients in the ED.
D. were more satisfied with their care.
4. Rosenzweig observes that the task force found side benefits of the program, which included:
A. fewer law suits by psychiatric clients.
B. shorter hospital stays by inpatient psychiatric clients.
C. hiring more staff nurses in the ED.
D. a new source of revenue for the CRJ.
5. According to Masters and O'Grady, one finding associated with normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH) is:
A. destruction of Broca's area.
B. berry aneurysms of die cerebral arteries.
C. symmetrica! enlargement of the ventricles in the brain.
D. atrophy of me pituitary gland.
6. Which of these tests would be ordered to confirm the diagnosis of NPH?
A. Positron emission tomography.
B. Magnetic resonance imaging.
C. Lumbar puncture.
D. Isotope cisternography.
7. Masters and O'Grady indicate that a common problem of shunting Is:
C. catheter displacement.
D. catheter stenosis.
8. Masters and O'Grady conclude that clients who have NPH are susceptible to:
A. injuries from fells.
B. respiratory depression.
C. kidney failure.
D. metabolic alkalosis.
9. Graham states that one group considered to be at high risk for contacting acquired immunodeficiency disease (AIDS) is:
A. heterosexual females.
B. intravenous drug users.
C. persons aged 40 to 50 years.
10. Graham concludes that a health education model used almost exclusively in the AIDS epidemic is:
11. Graham suggests that the number of people with ADDS admitted to psychiatric inpatient faculties is likely to increase because such people may have:
12. Graham found three of the following interventions to be effective in the described educational program. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
A. Planning each class to be about an hour long.
B. Providing information in simple and concrete ways.
C. Using an amoral approach in discussing relevant topics.
D. Having the groups composed of both females and males.
13. According to Yaktin and Labban, Neuchterlien postulated a:
A. continuum of vulnerability for schizophrenia.
B. psychological model for the cause of schizophrenia.
C. protocol for the treatment of schizophrenia.
D. definition of the concept of life events for schizophrenia.
14. In Yaktin 's and Labban's study, the independent variable was:
A. subjects' gender.
B. war stress.
C. geographical area.
D. number of psychotic breaks.
15. Tb locate personal information about participants in their study, Yaktin add Labban examined which of these files?
A. Ministry of Health.
B. Psychiatric hospital.
C. Patient's administrative.
D. Patient's medical.
16. When comparing the findings for their study with those of similar studies, one difference that Yaktin and Labban noted was that more schizophrenics in their study were:
17. According to Bowers, a common defense mechanism used to preserve the ego during extreme stress is:
18. Bowers states that adults tend to have few memories of early childhood events, because infants and preverbal children encode memories through:
A. primitive emotional and affective states.
B. visual and sensorimotor channels.
C. immature perceptual gestalts.
D. cognitive processes.
19. Bowers indicates that Emily, in the case study, initially had two major personal goals for therapy. One of them was to determine if she had been sexually abused as a child and the other was to:
A. gain insight into tite psychodynamics of her behavior.
B. improve her dysfunctional family relationships.
C. learn how to express negative feelings more appropriately.
D. obtain relief from depression.
20. Bowers suggests three of the following strategies when helping clients during art therapy. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
A. Ask them to describe their feelings during the drawing process.
B. Tell them to talk about their drawings in their own words.
C. Have them explain their drawings in the first person.
D. Discourage them from exploring the use of color in their drawings.
The American Nurses' Association now accepts the continuing education home study program for recertification in all cases. The Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services offers a home study quiz each issue. Quizzes are accepted up to 12 months from date of issue.
The certification requirements have been revised to accept approved independent study to meet all continuing education or academic requirements. The revision is effective immediately and will apply to nurses recertifying.