In the JournalsVideo

Cryopreserved amniotic membrane graft reduces recurrence after pterygium surgery

Cryopreserved amniotic membrane tissue helped reduce recurrence rates after pterygium surgery, according to a study.

The noncomparative retrospective study examined 556 eyes of 535 patients who had pterygium excision with adjunctive amniotic membrane transplantation and intraoperative mitomycin C.

Corneal recurrence occurred in 20 eyes (3.6%), while conjunctival recurrence was observed in 12 eyes (2.2%), for a total recurrence rate of 5.8%. Reoperation was needed in 11 eyes (2%).

Postoperative complications included conjunctival granuloma (0.5%), diplopia (1.1%) and ocular hypertension (4.3%).

Reducing surgical manipulation during pterygium excision and reducing the exposure time to MMC, as well as using the cryopreserved graft and fibrin glue instead of sutures, contributed to the lower recurrence rate, according to the study.

"The cryopreserved amniotic membrane graft plus the short exposure to mitomycin C virtually eliminate the risk of corneal melts," Rosen told Healio.com/OSN.
That combination plus the use of fibrin glue "as opposed to using any sutures whatsoever" create a triad approach to the treatment that "significantly lowered my recurrence rate … so it's quite gratifying," he said.

In addition, the risk of postoperative inflammation was eliminated with further follow-up. – by Rebecca L. Forand

Disclosure: Rosen reports no relevant financial disclosures.

Cryopreserved amniotic membrane tissue helped reduce recurrence rates after pterygium surgery, according to a study.

The noncomparative retrospective study examined 556 eyes of 535 patients who had pterygium excision with adjunctive amniotic membrane transplantation and intraoperative mitomycin C.

Corneal recurrence occurred in 20 eyes (3.6%), while conjunctival recurrence was observed in 12 eyes (2.2%), for a total recurrence rate of 5.8%. Reoperation was needed in 11 eyes (2%).

Postoperative complications included conjunctival granuloma (0.5%), diplopia (1.1%) and ocular hypertension (4.3%).

Reducing surgical manipulation during pterygium excision and reducing the exposure time to MMC, as well as using the cryopreserved graft and fibrin glue instead of sutures, contributed to the lower recurrence rate, according to the study.

"The cryopreserved amniotic membrane graft plus the short exposure to mitomycin C virtually eliminate the risk of corneal melts," Rosen told Healio.com/OSN.
That combination plus the use of fibrin glue "as opposed to using any sutures whatsoever" create a triad approach to the treatment that "significantly lowered my recurrence rate … so it's quite gratifying," he said.

In addition, the risk of postoperative inflammation was eliminated with further follow-up. – by Rebecca L. Forand

Disclosure: Rosen reports no relevant financial disclosures.