The summer provides an excellent opportunity to take an elderly relative or friend on outings to break a person's indoor routine, but a few simple precautions need to be ten. The Illinois Council on LongTerm Care offers a top 10 list for making summertime activities safe for elderly adults.
* Protect elderly adults from the sun. Sunblock should be applied to elderly adults at least 15 minutes prior to taking them outside.
* Have older adults wear hats and sunglasses, lightweight, long-sleeved tops, and long skirts or pants.
* Be aware of elderly adults' difficulty with light adjustment.
* Monitor individual for heat exhaustion.
* Supply adequate fluids.
* Watch out for bees and insects.
* Make sure perishable foods are properly chilled.
* Use safe grilling techniques.
* Ensure adequate air conditioning or ventilation for transportation.
* Take a backpack of safety items on your outing.
For more information about the Illinois Council on Long Term Care an other helpful tips, please access http://www.nursinghome.org.