TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE: A TEN MINUTE CHALLENGE
The following questions are taken from the text of the feature articles in this issue.
1. The most common sites for fractures due to osteoporosis are
A. the hip, vertebral body, and humerus.
B. the vertebral body, femur, and clavicle.
C. the vertebral body, the wrist, and the hip.
D. the wrist, the hip and the ribs.
2. One in _____ women will experience a compression fracture of the spine, due to osteoporosis, by the age of 60.
3. In author Hirschfeld's article, the kibbutzim of which she spoke were founded by young people over 50 years ago and now they face a demographic of _____ % to _____ % of their members being over 65.
A. 20% to 30%
B. 30% to 40%
C. 40% to 50%
D. 10% to 20%
4. Benzodiazepines have a prolonged half-life in elderly clients due to altered rates of gastrointestinal absorption, decreased ability to metabolize and excrete drugs, and
A. decreased body fat.
B. increased amounts of body fat.
C. increased blood pressures.
D. a decrease in cardiovascular perfusion.
5. The results of the study conducted by author Johnson indicated that
A. individuals perceived some disturbance in their nocturnal sleep patterns only if they took medication at bedtime.
B. individuals perceived some disruption of nocturnal sleep patterns if they did not take bedtime medication.
C. individuals perceived some disruption in nocturnal sleep patterns regardless of whether they took bedtime medication or not.
D. individuals perceived no disturbance in nocturnal sleep patterns when they took bedtime medication.
The following questions should be answered either TRUE or FALSE.
6. When the relationship between genders and nocturnal sleep patterns was established in Johnson's study, it was found that males had a higher incidence of subjective sleep complaints than did females.
7. In the Appalachian culture it is considered impolite and slightly suspect if one does not look directly into the eyes of those to whom one is speaking.
8. Owing to the practicality of the Appalachian people's nature, most elderly clients do not like to waste time on "pleasantries." They expect nurses to state their business as succinctly as possible and then leave.
9. Osteoporosis involves a decrease in bone mass although the chemical composition of the bone remains normal.
10. For women, loss of cortical bone begins in young adulthood but loss of trabecular bone usually starts at menopause and accelerates until about age 65.