The following questions are taken from the text of the feature articles in this issue.
1. Approximately _____ % of all patients In nursing homes are Incontinent.
2. The behavioral measures to control incontinence that are available to nursing are:
a. pelvic floor exercises
b. reward/punishment system
c. habit training
d. contingency management
A. only a, b, d
B. only a, c, d, e
C. only b, c, e
D. all of the above
3. Eighty percent of elderly persons have one or more chronic Illnesses, yet only _____ % reside In longterm facilities.
4. The average American woman has a _____ chance of fracturing a hip at some time during her life.
A. 1 in 3
B. 2 in 5
C 3 in 5
D. 1 in 4
5. At every age, black women are at approximately _____ the risk of white women for experiencing hip fracture.
The following questions should be answered either TRUE or FALSE.
6. The types of urinary incontinence are bladder hyperreflexla, chemical Irritant, and overflow incontinence.
7. The rate at which the risk of fracture increases with advancing age doubles about every five to six years.
8. The research being done seems to indicate that black women may have a decreased chance of hip fracture because they are, generally, less heavy than their white counterparts, creating less stress on the femur.
9. In the past few decades gerontologlcal research has avoided dispelling myths of age-related declines In health and effective functions.
10. Among the educational principles applied by nurses is one that health education Influences patient behavior primarily through changes In knowledge, attitudes, values, perceptions and social supports.