The History of Whipple's Disease
This episode delves into the history of Whipple’s disease — from its initial description, to the lengthy process of proving it’s an infectious disease.
- Intro :11
- In this episode :12
- The initial case report 1:35
- How I fit into the history of Whipple’s 4:46
- Back to the case report 6:56
- Bodies in the intestines 10:12
- More about George Hoyt Whipple 10:50
- Whipple may not have been the first to identify this condition 14:19
- First treatment with antibiotics 15:55
- Personality change after antibiotics 19:12
- Whipple’s disease intestines have positive staining 20:20
- Using the electron microscope in Whipple’s disease 21:18
- Summary and take-home 25:19
Bayless, TM. Adv intern Med. 1970;16:171-189.
Whipple GH. Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp. 1907;18:382-391.