Bascom Palmer, Wills Eye named best ophthalmology hospitals
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute has been named the best ophthalmology hospital in the country for the 17th straight year by U.S. News & World Report.
The report ranks Wills Eye Hospital second and Wilmer Eye Institute third. The top three rankings hold consistent from last year’s report.
“Delivering excellent vision care to our patients is always our No. 1 priority,” Eduardo C. Alfonso, MD, director of Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, said in a press release. “Our dedicated team has been able to turn the COVID-19 challenge into new opportunities to deliver clinical care safely and effectively, while advancing our research collaborations and medical education programs throughout the world.”
The 2020-2021 rankings measured 4,554 hospitals and used patient outcomes, patient experience, expert opinion and other care-related indicators to rank the hospitals.
In ophthalmology, the top 10 hospitals for 2020-2021 are:
1. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Hospital and Clinics, Miami
2. Wills Eye Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, Philadelphia
3. Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
5. Stein and Doheny Eye Institutes, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
6. University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City
7. Duke University Hospital, Durham, North Carolina
8. Kellogg Eye Center, Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor, Michigan
9. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
10. Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland
For a complete list of the national rankings in all specialties, go to health.usnews.com/best-hospitals.
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute ranked nation’s No. 1 in ophthalmology for 19th time. https://umiamihealth.org/bascom-palmer-eye-institute/about-bascom-palmer/us-news-ranking. Accessed July 28, 2020.