Bascom Palmer named best ophthalmology hospital
For the 16th consecutive year, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute has been named as the best ophthalmology hospital in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
The publication’s annual list had Wills Eye Hospital ranked second and Wilmer Eye Institute ranked third, which is consistent with the past few years’ rankings.
“For more than five decades, we have been making life-changing discoveries in every field of ophthalmology, including innovative treatments for glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration, optic nerve diseases, ocular oncology, and surgical procedures like removal of cataracts with intraocular lenses and surgery, correction of vision with LASIK and retinal detachment repair,” Bascom Palmer director Eduardo C. Alfonso, MD, said in a press release.
The annual list stems from a survey of 4,653 hospital in the U.S. Patient outcomes and experience, care-related indicators and expert opinion are used to create the rankings.
In ophthalmology, the top 10 hospitals for 2019-2020 are:
1. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Hospital and Clinics, Miami
2. Wills Eye Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
3. Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
5. Stein and Doheny Eye Institutes, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
6. University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City
7. Duke University Hospital, Durham, North Carolina
8. Kellogg Eye Center, Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor, Michigan
9. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
10. Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland
For a complete list of the national rankings in all specialties, go to health.usnews.com/best-hospitals.