Bascom Palmer best in ophthalmology again, according to U.S. News & World Report
For the 13th consecutive year, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute was ranked as the nation’s No. 1 eye hospital in the annual U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospital rankings.
This is the 15th time Bascom Palmer has received the honor since the publication began surveying physicians for its annual rankings 27 years ago, according to a press release from the eye institute.
“Receiving the No. 1 ranking again is a great testament to the tradition of excellence that drives every aspect of Bascom Palmer’s operation,” Eduardo C. Alfonso, MD, chairman of Bascom Palmer Eye Institute and OSN Cornea/External Disease Board Member, said in the release. “Drawing on their deep knowledge and experience, our dedicated doctors, scientists, nurses, technicians and support staff provide high-quality compassionate eye care to our Bascom Palmer patients.”
The 2016-2017 rankings started with a pool of 4,667 hospitals throughout the country. Across 16 specialties, 153 hospitals performed well enough to be nationally ranked in one or more specialties, according to U.S. News & World Report.
U.S. News & World Report ranked hospitals by reputation, patient survival, patient safety and care-related indicators, such as nurse staffing and patient volume. However, in ophthalmology, psychiatry, rehabilitation and rheumatology, the ranking is determined entirely by reputation, based on a survey of physician specialists.
In ophthalmology, the top 10 hospitals for 2016-2017 in the report are:
1. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute–Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital, Miami
2. Wills Eye Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia
3. Wilmer Eye Hospital, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
5. Stein and Doheny Eye Institutes, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
6. Duke University Hospital, Durham
7. University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City
8. Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland
9. W.K. Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
10. New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York