The 36,527 organ transplants performed in the United States in 2018 set an annual record for the sixth straight year, according to preliminary data from the United Network for Organ Sharing. Since 1988, the first full-year national transplant data were collected, organ transplants have exceeded 750,000.
In a press release, UNOS said the number of transplants using organs from both deceased and living donors increased by 5% during 2017. Approximately 81% (29,680) of the transplants performed in 2018 involved organs from deceased donors. Living donor transplants accounted for the remaining 19% (6,849). The number of living donor transplants represented the highest total since 2005 and increased nearly 11% during 2017.
No commercial support for this activity.
American Society of Nephrology Annual Meeting
Search Healio's robust listing of national and international medical meetings.
Tell us what you think about Healio.com »
Get the latest news and education delivered to your inbox
©2019 Healio All Rights Reserved.