Gut Instincts: A Clinician's Handbook of Digestive and Liver Diseases

Eric Esrailian, MD, MPH

Chapter 24: Colorectal Cancer And Screening (continued)

Saeed Sadeghi, MD

Despite advances in understanding the epidemiology of colorectal cancer (CRC), as well as advances in chemoprevention and surveillance modalities, it remains the third most common cause of malignancy in both men and women, and the second leading cause of cancer death in the United States. Approximately 72% of CRC arise in the colon. The remaining 28% are below the peritoneal reflection (15 cm above the anal verge) and are considered to be rectal cancers. Most CRC is sporadic. However, hereditary risk factors including a positive family history, familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), and…