The FDA’s Office of Women’s Health stressed good habits like eating healthy and managing health screenings to help people age as comfortably and happily as possible, in a consumer announcement.
September is healthy aging month and consumers can visit the Office on Women’s Health for more information.
The agency has the following healthy aging tips:
1) Eating a healthy diet is essential to one’s health; good nutrition and food safety are particularly important for older adults.
2) When used incorrectly, medications may cause health problems.
3) Health conditions like diabetes, osteoporosis and high blood pressure should be managed under the care of a doctor.
4) Health screenings help identify potential health issues. Some can be detected before any symptoms are noticed.
5) Physical activity helps one stay fit and strong; a gym membership does not need to be a part of the equation.
Start by talking to your doctor about any of the above steps. More information can be found at Go4Life or womenshealth.gov for those with disabilities.