October 30, 2014
A cohort of Finnish children who had reduced lung function in infancy were more likely to have had physician-diagnosed asthma or currently have asthma during follow-up at 8 years of age, according to study findings.
Forty-seven of 53 children with impaired lung function originally studied during infancy completed follow-up at a median age of 8.1 years. Physician-diagnosed asthma was present in 39 children (83%), current asthma in 25 (53%) and past asthma in 14 (30%). Ongoing asthma symptoms were observed in 27 (57%) children, seven (15%) of whom presented with ongoing wheeze. Of the patients with ongoing symptoms, multiple triggers were identified in 26 of them (96%), and the other patient (4%) had asthma caused by viruses.