In the Journals

Study highlights contemporary surgical indications for revision total hip arthroplasty

Results from this 10-year review indicated the most common indications for revision total hip arthroplasty within 5 years of the primary procedure were aseptic loosening, osteolysis and instability.

Using joint arthroplasty registry data, researchers retrospectively identified 870 patients who underwent revision total hip arthroplasty at a single center between May 2004 and September 2014. Investigators reviewed patients’ charts and operative records to collect demographics, date of index THA surgery and date of revision surgery. They also collected data on the location of the index surgery, as either at their hospital or at another hospital, and the incidences and reasons for revision surgery.

Findings showed the most common indication for revision hip arthroplasty within 5 years of the index procedure was aseptic loosening, followed by progressive osteolysis and instability. Investigators noted osteolysis decreased during the study period from 67.3% to 33.7% by 2014. From 5 years to 10 years, the most common indications for revision THA were aseptic loosening and osteolysis. According to researchers, 16.4% of index procedures were performed at the investigators’ hospital and the remaining 83.6% were referred to the institution. ‒ by Monica Jaramillo

 

Disclosures: Haynes reports no relevant financial disclosures. Please see the full study for a list of all other authors’ relevant financial disclosures.

Results from this 10-year review indicated the most common indications for revision total hip arthroplasty within 5 years of the primary procedure were aseptic loosening, osteolysis and instability.

Using joint arthroplasty registry data, researchers retrospectively identified 870 patients who underwent revision total hip arthroplasty at a single center between May 2004 and September 2014. Investigators reviewed patients’ charts and operative records to collect demographics, date of index THA surgery and date of revision surgery. They also collected data on the location of the index surgery, as either at their hospital or at another hospital, and the incidences and reasons for revision surgery.

Findings showed the most common indication for revision hip arthroplasty within 5 years of the index procedure was aseptic loosening, followed by progressive osteolysis and instability. Investigators noted osteolysis decreased during the study period from 67.3% to 33.7% by 2014. From 5 years to 10 years, the most common indications for revision THA were aseptic loosening and osteolysis. According to researchers, 16.4% of index procedures were performed at the investigators’ hospital and the remaining 83.6% were referred to the institution. ‒ by Monica Jaramillo

 

Disclosures: Haynes reports no relevant financial disclosures. Please see the full study for a list of all other authors’ relevant financial disclosures.