- Journal of Refractive Surgery
- April 2012 - Volume 28 · Issue 4: 249-252
To compare the visual outcomes and complications after suture-assisted and fibrin glue-assisted scleral fixated intraocular (IOL) implantation.
Scleral fixated IOL implantation was performed in patients with inadequate capsular support. Intraocular lens fixation was achieved using sutures or fibrin glue. Main parameters evaluated were visual outcomes and complications.
Fifty patients were included in the study (n=25 suture, n=25 glue). The most common indication for scleral fixated IOL implantation was cataract surgery complicated with posterior capsule rupture (29/50 [58%]). No significant differences were noted between demographic characteristics, surgical indications, and preoperative corrected distance visual acuity (CDVA) in either group (P=.680). No intraoperative complications related to IOL fixation were encountered in any case. At last follow-up (6 months), CDVA was 20/40 or better in 88% and 84% of patients in the suture and glue groups, respectively. Postoperative inflammation (48% vs 16%) and glaucoma (40% vs 16%) were seen more frequently in eyes with sutures as compared to eyes with glue. Overall, a significantly higher number of complications were encountered in eyes with suture fixation (14/25 [56%]) compared to eyes with glue fixation (7/25 [28%]) (P=.045).
Although visual outcomes were similar at the end of 6 months in eyes that underwent suture- and glue-assisted scleral fixated IOL implantation, fibrin glue was associated with fewer complications.
From the MM Joshi Eye Institute, Hubli, Karnataka, India (Ganekal, Venkataratnam); Shiley Eye Center, Department of Ophthalmology, University of California, San Diego, California (Dorairaj); Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (Jhanji); and Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Australia (Jhanji).
The authors have no financial or proprietary interests in the materials presented herein.
Correspondence: Vishal Jhanji, MD, Dept of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. Tel: 852 2762 3180; Fax: 852 2715 9490; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received: November 16, 2011
Accepted: January 10, 2012
Posted Online: March 01, 2012