January 26, 2015
A case of primary amebic meningoencephalitis that led to the death of a child in Louisiana was associated with culturable Naegleria fowleri in tap water from a treated drinking water system, CDC investigators reported in Clinical Infectious Diseases.
On July 27, 2013, the boy, aged 4 years, was visiting relatives in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana, when he developed diarrhea, followed by multiple episodes of vomiting and coupled with poor oral intake, and a severe headache. He was brought to a hospital after a third staring spell, in which he was unresponsive with his eyes fixed and open. He was admitted to the pediatric ICU early July 28 with intermittent headaches and a waxing and waning mental status.